First Baptist Church in Beverly Mission Trips

Friday, August 04, 2006

I Can't Believe It's Time To Go...

Scribe: Cindy A, while Dave and Chris pack

It's amazing to me that it's been a week already. Leaving the families I worked with was very hard; Mr. P was so sweet and Carl and Stacey's dog finally trusted us enough to let us pet her! I even got a kiss on the nose. Stupid I know, but this little things remind me of how, at our core, we are truly all the same. As I spoke my good byes to Mr. P and he thanked me over and over, I was overwhelmed by the feeling that if anything ever befell me, he wouldn't hesitate to help out.

On our drive last night, the most lasting sights were that of a sign for an elementary school...and nothing but a cement slab where the school once stood, and, as described by Bill S, rows of mailboxes with no homes in sight, until you look out into the swamp about 1/4 mile and spot a roof or 2. Very humbling.

Tonight we had a celebratory dinner at the Golden Corral followed by a brief meeting and devotions at the Annex. Beth led us in a handwashing ceremony, reminding us that we are all the hands of God. And not just us here, but you all at home as well that support us in so many ways. I can honestly say that I won't miss the heat but there is much about this place that will stay with me forever.

Complete exhaustion has now set in. Time to finish packing and get ready for bed. We leave New Iberia at 6:45am to head to New Orleans for a tour of the damage done there, the place where the levees broke, and some rebuilt areas. After that it's a box lunch and onto the airport for a 2:55pm flight. We hit Boston at about 9:30pm. Please join us in worship next Sunday for Mission Sunday. We'll have our pictures and stories and maybe some Cajun snacks!

Please pray for traveling mercies for all of us. Thanks for journeying with us. Peace and grace to each of you. C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home